Marriage Licenses if the Bride or Groom is Under 18 Years of Age

California State Law requires that any couple wishing to marry, when either or both are under 18 years of age, must obtain written consent of one parent who has legal custody and a court order filed in Superior Court approving the issuance of a marriage license. The minor must apply for a marriage license in their county of residence. The residence of a minor is by law that of the parent or guardian.

Premarital Counseling

Contact the Superior Court at 831-420-2200 for details.

Summary of Procedures

All minors who wish to marry will need to obtain a court order first that grants them permission to obtain a marriage license and to get married. Contact Family Court Services at 831/786-7325, for details on obtaining a court order. Their office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.

To apply for a marriage license the couple should come to the Santa Cruz County Clerk’s Office, located at 701 Ocean St. Rm. 210, Santa Cruz, CA 95060. Office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. The telephone number is 831/454-2060.

They will need to present completed applications, the certified copy of the court order, valid government issued photo identification, as well as the payment for the license. Payment may be made by check or cash.

Minors may not be issued a confidential marriage license under any circumstances (Family Code Section 500).