How to Change Your Name after Marriage

You will need to obtain a certified copy of your marriage certificate.

To obtain a copy of a public marriage certificate from the Santa Cruz County Recorder’s Office:

To obtain a copy of a confidential marriage certificate from the Santa Cruz County Clerk:

  • Visit the office located at 701 Ocean Street, Room 310, in Santa Cruz between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, complete a form, and show ID. Cost is $18 per copy.
  • By mail, submit a notarized application with a check or money order ($18 per copy) to:
    Santa Cruz County Clerk
    701 Ocean Street, Room 310
    Santa Cruz, CA 95060

Some of the places listed below (such as the Social Security Administration) will insist on seeing documentation. Others will not. Some will just need a phone call, while others will need to see you in person or get it in writing. Documentation helps with your transition between names, so the more documentation you get, the easier the subsequent changes will be.

We suggest you alert the following places of your name change: